I have been running a FREE Crockpot Challenge Group and trying some new recipes this week. Eggplant Parmesan is my go to dish when I eat at an Italian Restaurant. It's usually breaded and fried and covered in cheese. This version is obviously not that, but I totally dug it!! So did the hubs and kids! And what was even better was that it was quick and easy and no cleanup with the crock pot!
Crock Pot Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 lb Italian Turkey Sausage(taken out of casings)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning.
- 3 cups marinara sauce, no sugar added
- 3 1/2 small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Several basil leaves, chopped
1. Cut eggplant into ⅓ inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of salt you can rinse and pat.)
2. While Eggplant sits remove turkey sausage from casings and sauté with garlic until no longer pink.
3. Spread ½ cup of sauce in the bottom of the crock pot.
4. Spread a layer of eggplant on top of the sauce. Top with 1/2 cottage cheese and sprinkle with italian seasoning. Then layer 1/2 of sausage and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers one more time.
5. Add one additional layer of Eggplant and 1/2 cup of sauce. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and basil.
6. Cook on low for eight hours or high for 4 hours.
7. Serve on top of whole grain spaghetti if you wish
** 21 Day Fix Servings: 2 green, 2 red, 1 purple, 1 blue
*** If you choose to use whole grain pasta, make sure to count it as a yellow :)