Last night my menu said Fish, Couscous and Vegetables. The kids said, "We want pizza!" I thought, man, that sounds good. I just stared at my menu and finally said screw it. I just am not in the mood fish tonight. BUT, wasn't ready to throw in the towel and go hog wild. I had to come up with a comfort food that would satisfy. We just had pasta this week, and although that is a meal I could eat every day its an easy one to make on busy days. I had tried spaghetti squash chow mien a couple weeks ago and it was a total failure, but I thought I would give it a good old italian try this time! Hence, lasagna! It turned out delicious and was even more food that I could eat! Its a keep for sure!!
Spaghetti Squash LasagnaServes 2
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 1/2 cup ground Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic (you could use less based on your preference)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Spaghetti sauce (with no or very low sugar and sodium)
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place upside down (skin up) in roasting pan in about an inch of water and roast for 45 minutes at 400.
- While Squash is cooking, chop onion and garlic. Heat 1tsp coconut oil on pan and sauté onion and garlic for about 4 minutes. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- When squash is finished, remove from oven and turn squash over. Remove water from the bottom of the pan.
- Take two forks and gently pull squash away from the walls of the squash.
- Add a spoonful of sauce to each squash half and gently mix with squash. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Divide the meat mixture between all of the squash.
- Top with another spoonful of sauce
- Add Cottage Cheese and sprinkle again with Italian Seasoning.
- Top with one more spoonful of sauce
- Top with Mozzarella Cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Broil for about 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- Remove from oven and add fresh basil leaves to the top.