One of my favorite vegetables is zucchini, so I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. And all of my recipes right now have to be able to to be made ahead since our evening schedule is crazy with activities. I made this earlier in the day and plopped it in the oven fro 20 minutes while we got in the door and settled and then dinner was served!
Sausage Zucchini Boats
(serving size 2 boats)
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small eggplant (chopped into small pieces)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 8oz can of no sugar added pure tomato sauce
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 T Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tsp Basil
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Cut zucchini in half and trim bottom so it sits evenly on baking tray
- Using a small melon scooper, scoop out zucchini inside and save.
- Put 1/2 oz of Mozzarella cheese in bottom of each zucchini boat.
- Cut sausage out of casing and cook with 1tsp oil and garlic until cooked through.
- While sausage is cooking, heat other tsp oil and cook zucchini and eggplant and spices until tender.
- Combine sausage and veggies and tomato sauce and scoop mixture into boats
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
2 Boats = 1 1/2 Red, 1 1/2 Green and 1 Blue