Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Living with a perfectionist over-organized neurotic mom

Michael and I both like things to be organized and we are very driven for success. This is a good quality in some ways, but it may eventually lead to my downfall though as I think, "It will just be easier if I do it." Such as coach a Sports Team, Boy Scouts, Playgroup, you get the picture.  I do very much enjoy doing these things (and the time they give me with my kiddos) and they tend to feed my craving for creating order in the world, BUT when is it to much? Right now I feel like I have the best of both worlds and my balance is in check. But just the other day I said to Michael, "If they need a Boy Scout leader for next year I might do it, because I am not happy with the way things are going right now. It is to unorganized and there is so much more the boys can be getting out of this." He reminded me that there is more involved though. I know, I know….

Right now my kids LOVE to say, "Mommy is my coach/leader." And I love that at this age they still take pride in that. They are also getting to the age where they say "thank you" unprompted after a fun outing or playing a game, etc. GOSH THAT MAKES ME FEEL GREAT!! And they know that we do these things and spend our time for them!

As the kids get older, life only gets crazier. We have multiple things on the same day in different locations. I really can not imagine what life will be like in 3 more years…. When I said this to Michael this morning his response was, "That's encouraging" (said very sarcastically!). So I feel like I need to come to terms with how much is enough and to let some things go…as hard as that will be. I will still be coach or leader etc. but I can not do it for EVERYTHING!!

I am so happy with the time I get to sound with my kids and today Logan brought home this letter, which brought tears to my eyes. This is why I do it!!!

…more about how my "disorder" has effected my kids later…that is another whole conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment