Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Casserole Queen

Michael's new nickname for me is Casserole Queen, but it is not one that I am wearing as a badge of honor....it is more to make fun of me. I am NOT a casserole girl by nature, but as groceries get more expensive, my kids are eating more and more, and we are CRAZY busy I have been experimenting with casseroles. I mean who doesn't like cheep and easy? (now don't take that the wrong way...) I have tried a couple versions of tuna, chicken, meatball, spaghetti, just to name a few. Some have turned out OK, some not so much...




But last night was a success (although Michael would say the meatball was even more of a success)! All 4 kids loved it and I thought this one was GOOD. Not OK, but GOOD. So I wanted to share the recipe, because like I said...who doesn't like Cheep, Easy AND Good!! I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it was online somewhere, not Allrecipes or any big site, which is also more the reason to share; since it is not widely publicized....or maybe that should be reason to keep it to myself. Oh well, I am in a giving mood, so I'll share. And I think this would make a nice meal for a new mom too. Throw in a salad and some cookies and there ya go. Anyway, onto the recipe.


Baked Spaghetti

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used turkey)
  • 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onions
  • 8 ounces cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • French Fried Onions (small can)
Directions
  1. Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
  2. Brown ground beef. Drain excess grease. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and heat.
  3. Combine onions and butter in small glass bowl. Cover and microwave 4 minutes on HIGH until soft.
  4. Add cream cheese and milk to onions and stir well.
  5. Using a 10 x 6 dish, assemble in the following order:
  6. Thin layer of meat sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
  7. Spaghetti
  8. Cream cheese/onion mixture
  9. Spaghetti sauce
  10. Parmesan Cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
  11. French Fried Onions (added during last 5 minutes of cooking)
  12. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with French Fried onion and continue baking 5 more minutes. (This is the secret ingredient--don't let them burn.)
Notes
Make this ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze without the French Fried onions. Don't forget to add them 5 minutes before casserole is finished cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment