Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars

I have always been a baker, well, maybe not a baker, but a person who likes to bake. And I eat healthy, most of the time. I cook at least 6 nights a week and then have 1 cheat day. So anyway, I have been trying to make more things lately, like after school snacks, instead of buying processed foods. Yes, they are more convenient and can be cheep, but with all the "added ingredients" not always very healthy. Michael printed an article yesterday about foods that can cause a stroke and of course they were all processed. Even the organic granola bars I buy have lots of "things" in them and they are NOT cheep!!

So this morning, thanks to a recipe from Jessica Ledbetter, I made homemade cinnamon raisin granola bars. They were super easy and turned out delicious...I just tried one before the kids could get their hands on them!! So, I will share the recipe with you. BTW - Jess said you can add whatever "special" ingredient you want like dried strawberries, chocolate chips, etc. I will try something different next time. Hope you enjoy these healthy treats!!

Granola Bars
2 C Rolled oats
3/4 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Wheat Germ
3/4 tsp Cinnamon (I used more, we love cinnamon!)
1 C Flour (I used whole wheat)
3/4 C Raisins
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 C Honey
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 C Vegetable Oil (I didn't have any, so I used olive oil)
2 tsp Vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease 13x9 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix well using your hands. Pat mixture evenly into pan.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes. (mine only took 25 min) until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. DO NOT allow to coll completely or they will be to hard to cut.

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment