- 3 medium zucchini
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggs
- Breadcrumbs (I used homemade croutons that I ground up in a food processor)
- Pizza cheese or mozzarella cheese
- your favorite sauce (I think Mamma DiSalvo's is such gem and really makes the dish!)
- Pesto (I made homemade pesto. recipe below)
- Slice the zucchini in rounds.
- Take half of the zucchini and put it on pizza stone or baking tray. Spritz with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Broil for appox 15 min until cheese starts to just brown.
- Meanwhile take the 2 eggs and crack and whip in a bowl. Put breadcrumbs in another bowl and mix in a handful or parmesan cheese.
- Coat skillet with 1/2 to 1 inch olive oil and heat.
- Dip zucchini rounds in egg and then breadcrumb mixture and then fry for 30 seconds to a min each side until crumbs on the outside are browned. As you remove rounds from the skillet, put zucchini rounds on a paper towel.
- Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Line the pan with a layer of zucchini rounds. (I alternated the broiled and fried zucchini rounds)
- Spread another layer of sauce and sprinkle with pizza cheese and parmesan and then spindle some fresh torn basil.
- Repeat layers until all zucchini is used.
- Bake at 350 covered (with foil) for 20 min and then uncover and bake for 10 min or until all the cheese is melted.
- Serve with spaghetti with pesto
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.