Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mystified

Today we had Meeka's official evaluation with the speech therapist in the early intervention program Help Me Grow. She tested her cognitive skills, her speech, her hearing and also did a test for fluid in the ears. Everything was perfect, except for speech.... this is double edged sword. I hate to admit this, but a bit of me was hoping they would say she had fluid in her ears. At least that might be an "easy" fix and we would know what the problem was and move forward. But when the speech therapist left here stumped, I have to say I was a bit disheartened. Basically we are doing all the right things so far she told us. She gave us some tricks to go back to the basics of making sounds and we are going to attend a sign language clinic tomorrow so that maybe we can start to alleviate some of the frustration that is building when she can not communicate. She kept saying I just don't understand...not reassuring. Now, speech is a minor problem compared to the many difficult things families face every day, I know that. But I still want answers. And we only have until she turns 3 until we "age out" of the program. And yes, I know that is 9 months away, but still... I want the best for my child. I want her to communicate and tell us what she wants and needs. Right now she speaks full sentences to us and yet we have not a clue what she is saying. It frustrates her, and us. I guess nothing is ever easy. So here we go on another 
roller coaster ride.  I am sure we are in for many ups and downs and even some loops, but hopefully it will be a good ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment